Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Guess Who! American History

Wow! Is tomorrow already August? Time has flown by this summer! I have been gone the majority of the summer, hence the lack in posts... but I am back now! I have a lengthy list of things to blog about from my summer adventures! To begin with, here is one of my crafty Pinterest projects that I have completed (here is the link to the original idea):


Colonial America/Revolutionary War Guess Who!




I have been wanting to do this project for a while now and finally made the time this last month. It took me some time to put it all together! The old-fashioned Guess Who game is hard to come by! They have made it all fancy now, which is not what I wanted! I scoured garage sales and thrift stores until I found one! Here are my directions:


1. Find an old Guess Who game and take out the cards (you might already have one in your game cabinet.)
2. Select people from history, family, students, etc. to turn into a game. 
3. Measure the game cards in your Guess Who game. (Mine were 1.75" x 1.12")
4. Using your favorite document maker, (I used Power Point) create boxes that are the measurements of your cards. 
5. Find pictures of your people you want to use either on the Internet or photos you have taken.
6. Insert the photos into your document, sizing them to fit inside the boxes.
7. Insert a text box at the bottom of your boxes and type the person's name.
8. Print, laminate, cut, insert, and play! (Make sure you print an extra set to draw from.)


Rules of play: 
1. Open the trays by turning them upside down.
2. Each player draws a card that their opponent will be trying to guess.
3. Ask "yes" or "no" questions to narrow down the suspects. (You can ask if they are bald, wearing a hat, male, or even about something they did in history like did this person fight in a war?)
4. Narrow down the selection until you think you know who your opponent has for you. Make your guess on your next turn to see if you are correct!
Bonus: If you want it to be more of a challenge, pull 2 cards to guess. Then, you can ask questions like: Is either person involved in the Revolutionary War? or Are both people female?


I hope you will create your own Guess Who game now! I would love to sell my cards that I have made, but I just got the images from Google, so that wouldn't be legal. However, it really didn't take long to make. Make sure you link up pictures of yours if you make one!




10 comments:

debijeanm said...

8th Grade American History teacher banging head on table. After saving it for over 25 years, guess what I just purged last month. Sniff. Sniff.

Vanna, The Crafty Teacher said...

Bummer! I had to hunt high and low to find one. Garage sales and resell shops are your best bet if you want to find one.

Anonymous said...

I think that this would be a good game for the students to do as well. is there away for them to no laminate it bu still use the cards?

Vanna, The Crafty Teacher said...

Hello Annoymous, Yes! My cards are laminated and then I cut them apart and slid them into the game.

Anonymous said...

Is there a template for these cards that we can just print and cut out?

Anonymous said...

Pretty darn cool

lisaplus6 said...

If you read this comment on your blog (I know this post is older). Would you consider sharing your Colonial America/Revolutionary War Guess Who pictures for printing? I would love to play this with my homeschool students! This is wonderful!

Vanna, The Crafty Teacher said...

If you send me your email address I can send you the cards. I didn't post them on here because I just got the images from all over the internet. Don't know for sure that all of the images are free to share. I assume they are, but don't want to violate any copyright laws!

Anonymous said...

I don't see how to contact you, could you please send me an email with the Colonial America/Revolutionary War Guess Who pictures?
Thank you so much. Great idea!
Here is my email that you will have to transform.
gracehaven at exede dot net

Vanna, The Crafty Teacher said...

I will be happy to email it to you! I am on fall break, but when I return to school I will!